Suburbia Journal publishes four issues a year: two general issues, a themed anthology, and one issue dedicated to highlighting the works of underrepresented writers. We need diverse writing, writing that delves into each unique human experience. People deserve to be seen in literature. People deserve to have their voices heard. In 2022, we will be reserving an issue exclusively for writers in the LGBTQIA+ community. It was deeply important to both me and Nathan to publish this issue as both queer people and members of the literary community.
Queer stories have historically been censored, criticized, banned, or unheard. Fortunately, we now live in an era of progress. There is so much work to be done when it comes to the fight for equality; we at Suburbia want to everything in our power to aid in that fight. With this issue, we offer free submissions to all LGBTQIA+ writers. Additionally, 50% of any Suburbia donations made for this issue will be sent to Lambda Literary’s LGBTQ Writers in Schools program. If you would like to be a part of this issue, please read our guidelines below:
- Special issue dedicated to the works of LGBTQIA+ writers and artists only.
- Published in January 2023.
- Submission period ends December 31st, 2022.
- General fiction, poetry, and artwork.
- We want content that discusses or explores LGBTQIA+ ideas, characters, plots, relationships, concepts, difficulties, trials, or themes. If you identify as LGBTQIA+ but your work isn't exploring it, we kindly ask you to instead submit something that does.
- Print copies for purchase and free digitally.
- $25 and one print copy payment per acceptance.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed; please withdraw if accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions are allowed.
- Free submissions.
- All genres are accepted and encouraged.
- All styles, forms, content, & weirdness is accepted and encouraged.
- "Normal" formatting: readable font size and style, etc.
- 1 sentence to 8,000 words for fiction, but we prefer shorter than 20 pages.
- 10 pages of poetry maximum.
- doc, docx, pdf, jpeg, and png.
- If we need more information, we'll contact you.